Summer's here! Woo Hoo! While no one is complaining in my house of the dog days of summer, I need to say wrapping up this year left me a little verklempt. My oldest graduated up to the middle school, and my youngest is moving up to the grade level beyond what I teach. In other words, I will not have either of my babies in Susie's class next door again (boo hoo, tissue break). I feel incredibly fortunate to have shared an extraordinary elementary of staff and students with my boy, and while he will no longer be in my building he will be with dad who teaches middle school math. Again, how fortunate am I? Very cool. Likewise, even though my girl has passed my grade level, she will still be hanging out with me for a while in the same building. Wrapping up this year was not only special as a mom, but teacher as well. Susie and I were very close to this year's group of parents and kids (I know, I say that every year :0). I consider myself blessed everyday to teach along side an educator who loves her learning community as much as I do. Not to mention Susie has become an honorary sister who I have no problem driving to Portland (she's not so much for down town traffic so I drive when we visit her niece at Nordstrom), or traveling half way around the world to Korea to teach kids English (click here to see pics of our trip two years ago - I can't believe it's already been two years! Wow time flies!).
Just as we wrapped up our school year, I barely caught my breath and found myself smack dab in the middle of VBS with my kids. I serve our children as a missions volunteer, teaching kids how to give to their community and world. Chec out our mission project for this year: http://www.ricebowls.org/ It is a joy to serve in this capacity! I love taking my kids and their friends to church, hanging out with dear people who I have loved for years, some of them being Rhonda and Anna who it has been great to catch up with. I even caught a movie with them this week, and spent an evening with Rhonda laughing myself silly. Felt good to giggle like a kid. Another dear friend at church lent us their son's drum set for our boy to use. I know what you're thinking... head ache, being among one of the words jumping to your mind. It really will be OK. Really. We put the drum set in the playroom so all I have to do is go downstairs, walk out side, turn the corner, and I'll be fine :0). Maybe drumming will help his running in terms of keeping beat? Who knows. Either way I truly am happy he's found a niche in music as well as running. Am sure Grampi will have us at another fun run soon. Similarly, our girl continues to shine in gymnastics. We're dropping Saturday practices this weekend so we look forward to having one day a week to sleep in, but I have to admit Saturday practices or not, I comprehensively enjoy helping and watching both of my kids do what makes them happy. Not to mention, our gymnastics community has been very supportive of our family, so again, I count my blessings.
A recent event celebrating blessings, making me full of joy to share, was watching Michele return from China with Sophie! How lucky am I to be part of their support system?!?! Between Michele and Roxx I feel like an honorary aunt to China babies and forever families in general. For example, Sue and Matthew who I also got to see at the airport while welcoming home Michele. Sweet little Matthew and Simone are buddies - it's only a matter of time before Sophie joins their fun. Being part of this experience caused many emotions to flood my heart, such as the power of a mother's love, the power of family, the joy of having my own family, as well as watching others as their family grows. It also reminded me of Roxx and my little forever niece Julia, of whom I get to see soon! We are going to have a "Stay-cation with Roxx during the week leading up to the 4th of July." In case you haven't gathered, that means we're stayin' home this year. Sleeping bags on the front porch, BBQ pit in back yard, hammock and a truck load of Costco will be the foundation of our week adventure with Roxx and family, of which our goal is to spend as little money as possible. Gas prices have been sucking us dry like everyone else, so this year we're getting creative. We love being together and have fun no matter what we do, so I am as excited as if it were a traditional vacation. Before I sign off, please take a moment to enjoy a feature CNN did on Michele's family. Yes, I said CNN!!! CNN traveled to China before Michele, arriving in time to first meet Sophie and record the Houston "Gotcha Moment." We are thrilled Michele and her family was chosen for this piece, and even happier Sophie was protected from China earthquakes (Sophie is from the same region). Simply click the image to be connected to their CNN story.
Click Image to CNN Feature on Houston Family

No comments:
Post a Comment